Saturday, March 14, 2015

Stay Hungry, Stay Foolish / 계속 갈망하라, 늘 우직하게 / ハングリーであれ、馬鹿であれ


Grace from Korea here.

Hello :) I brought a very inspiring video to introduce to you today.
It's a video of speech of the late Steve Jobs at Stanford Commencement in 2005.
He was the CEO and co-founder of Apple. But I felt that he was hungry and foolish like nobody. You will get to know what I mean. Let's see the video first.







There are 3 points of what he's talking about.



1. About Connecting the Dots

He dropped out of Reed College after his first 6 months because he couldn't see the value in it. He had no idea what he wanted to do with his life and no idea how college was going to help him to figure it out. So he decided to drop out and trust that it would all work out OK. Even though he had no dorm room and had to walk the 7 miles across town every Sunday night to get one good meal a week, he was happy to follow his curiosity. Because he had dropped out and didn't have to take the normal classes, he decided to take a calligraphy class that he was fascinated by. At that time, that was not practical and not helpful to his application. But ten years later, when he was designing the first Macintosh computer, it all came back to him. Mac was the first computer with beautiful typography.

 He said that we can't connect the dots looking forward; we can only connect them looking backwards, that we have to trust that the dots will somehow connect in our future, that we have to trust in something - gut, destiny, life.. He said that believing in the dot connect down the road will give us the confidence to follow our heart even when it leads us off the well-worn path and that would make all the difference.



2. About Love and Loss

He said he was lucky that he found what he loved to do early in his life. He started Apple with Woz in his parents' garage when he was 20. As the worked hard, in 10 years Apple had grown to a $2-billion company with over 4,000 employees. But when he had just turned 30, he got fired. What had been the focus of his entire adult life was gone and it was devastating, he said. But it turned out that getting fired from Apple was the best thing that could have ever happened to him. The heaviness of being successful was replaced by the lightness of being a beginner again, less sure about everything. It freed him to enter one of the most creative periods of his life. 

During the next five years, he started a company name NeXT, another company named Pixar, and fell in love with his wife. Well.. Pixar went on to create the worlds first computer animated feature film, Toy Story, and is now the most successful animation studio in the world. And Apple bought NeXT, he returned to Apple. He said 'Sometimes life hits you in the head with a brick. Don't lose faith. I'm convinced that the only thing that kept me going was that I loved what I did. You've got to find what you love. Your work is going to fill a large part of your life, and the only way to truly satisfied is to do what you believe is great work. And the only way to do great work is to love what you do. If you haven't found it yet, keep looking and don't settle'. How important thing is that..!




3. About Death

About a year before that speech, he was diagnosed with cancer. His doctor hold him that it was almost certainly a type of cancer which is incurable, and that he should expect to live no longer that three to six months. After that, on some day he needed to get a few cells from the tumor. And when doctors viewed the cells under a microscope, it turned out to be a very rare form of pancreatic cancer that is curable with surgery. He had the surgery and he was cured. Through that experience, he got to think that time is limited, so it's wasting time to live someone else's life. He said 'Don't be trapped by dogma, which is living with the results of other people's thinking. Don't let the noise of others' opinions drown out your own inner voice. Have the courage to follow your heart and intuition ; they somehow already know what you truly want to become'.

There was a publication called The Whole Earth Catalog which was created by Stewart Brand when Jobs was young. On the back cover of the publication's final issue, there was a photograph of an early morning country road. Beneath it were the words : " Stay Hungry, Stay Foolish " And he said he has always wished that for himself. Stay Hungry, Stay Foolish.








Best sentence I was touched by is :
Remembering that I am going to die is the best way to avoid the trap of thinking I have something to lose. I am already naked. There is no reason not to follow my heart.



And I want to ask few questions to you.
1. Are you happy what you are doing? Are you worried about how it's going to be?
2. Do you have any single quotes that keeps you look forward?





Actually I've always been taught from my mother to live my own special life, to follow my heart, not to care too much other people's opinion and that the only thing I can trust is God. So I'd thought I'd been confident with the things I'd been doing until I watched that video. It made me think for quite a long time. And it turned out I was not not 100% sure to my decisions I was making. I realized that actually, I was kind of faking it to think everything would be alright. 
But that speech of Steve Jobs got me relieve to keep going my own way, think that it's okay not to follow what other people are all doing.

Sometimes, it's hard to believe myself. Sometimes we have doubts like what if my decision I just made was really bad one to my future.. But eventually, it IS okay. As long as you're believing yourself, the dots will be connected somehow and make your life just perfect.

I hope you all really enjoyed watching it. And I want to tell you that living your own life is really amazing and beautiful thing. So keep it going and don't stop believing yourself ! :)





No comments:

Post a Comment